Should I Hire A Car Accident Lawyer After An Accident In Oklahoma?
- July 15th, 2014
- Mike Hill
- No comments
If you have been involved in a car accident that resulted in multiple injuries and property damage, you need to consult with a car accident lawyer. This is especially more necessary if you are sure that you did not contribute to the occurrence of the accident in any form. Even if you are not sure, consulting with a car accident attorney will shed more light on the issue of liability. Essentially, a car accident lawyer cannot be sidestepped when seeking legal redress and compensation in accident cases.
If you are involved in a car accident where you sustain personal injury or significant damages to your vehicle, you will want to seriously consider hiring a car accident lawyer. An auto accident lawyer can help you recover losses by negotiating with insurance claims adjustors and/or taking your case to court. While you may choose to negotiate with an insurance claims adjustor yourself, remember that claims adjustors are trained to settle your claim for as little money as possible. Also, once you accept money from an insurance company, your claim is settled and there is little an attorney can do at that point to recover more money if your injuries are more extensive than you originally thought.
Top 5 Reason To Hire A Car Accident Lawyer In Oklahoma
1. You have only a limited time to sue: In Oklahoma, the statute of limitations for filing a car accident claim is two years. If you don’t sue within that time, you give up your right to sue forever.
2. You may need to comply with certain rules in order to sue You may need to file a police report or file notice within a given period of time. Your individual state may have additional requirements as well. An attorney who is experienced in handling car accident injuries in your area will be familiar with the laws and can help you make sure you don’t do anything that jeopardizes your right to sue the party responsible for your injury.
3. Your insurance company may have a different agenda: Most insurance companies aim to protect their insureds and to compensate them for damages. However, insurance companies also aim to keep costs down and reduce their overhead. Since your agenda and your insurance companies agenda may not perfectly align, hiring an attorney can be the best way to insure you have an advocate for your interests.
4. You may not fully understand all of your potential damages. There are a slew of potential damages available to people who are injured in a car accident. In addition to medical bills, you may be able to recover for lost wages, pain and suffering and emotional distress. Your family members may even be able to recover for the loss of your companionship if you have become incapacitated. If you don’t hire an attorney, you may not be aware of all of your potential legal rights to recovery.
5. Proving liability can be complex even with witnesses and a police report saying the other party is at fault, proving that he was so negligent that he breached a duty of care to you can be difficult. Since there are many elements that go into winning a personal injury lawsuit, you will need to hire an attorney who understands the law and who can provide references to cases, citations and other sources of law that support your position.